Most medical plans don’t cover long-term care services such as nursing home care or at-home care to assist with bathing, eating or other activities of daily living. Anyone at any age may need these services, the cost of which can quickly deplete savings or retirement income. The Commonwealth of Virginia (COV) Voluntary Group Long Term Care Insurance Program can help with these costs.
VRS has contracted with Genworth Life Insurance Co. as the insurer for the program. Participant-paid coverage provides a monthly benefit allowance for covered long-term care expenses.
Employees age 18 and over are eligible to apply for coverage in the COV Voluntary Group Long Term Care Insurance Program if they are a:
Note: Vested deferred VRS members and retirees are not required to have worked for an employer that elected the program. Retirees and deferred vested VRS members are required to complete full medical underwriting when they apply, regardless of age.
- State employees who work at least 20 hours a week. The employee does not have to be a VRS member.
- Employees and faculty (including adjunct) of a Virginia public institution of higher education who work at least 20 hours a week. The employee does not have to be a VRS member.
- School division employee or political subdivision employee who works at least 20 hours a week, provided the employer has elected to participate in the program. The employee does not have to be a VRS member.
- Deferred VRS member age 75 or under who is vested (you have at least five years of service credit).
- Retiree age 75 or under receiving a VRS-administered benefit.
- Retiree of a Virginia public college or university age 75 or under.
Family members may also apply for coverage if they are between the ages of 18 and 75 and undergo full medical underwriting. Eligible family members include:
- Spouse or surviving spouse.
- Adult children.
- Parents, parents-in-law and step parents.
- Grandparents, grandparents-in-law, step grandparents and step grandparents-in-law.
Employer Questions? Contact the Genworth Account Management team at email@example.com or 800-870-0877.
- Reduced medical underwriting (proof of good health) for employees age 65 and under who apply within 60 days of employment. Full medical underwriting will be required after 60 days or if the employee is over age 65.
- Full medical underwriting is required for any family members, deferred VRS members or retirees who apply.
- At group rates, premiums may be more affordable. Employees pay premiums directly to Genworth.
- Employees who leave or retire from their position may continue coverage under Genworth.
- Employees can choose one of three benefit increase options that will increase coverage over time to help protect against the rising cost of care.
- VRS members eligible for the VSDP Long-Term Care Plan or have other long-term care insurance, including the VLDP Long-Term Care Plan, may be able to coordinate with the voluntary program to obtain even more coverage.