Commonwealth of Virginia (COV) Voluntary Group Long Term Care Insurance Program
Most medical plans don’t cover long-term care services such as nursing home care or at-home care to assist with bathing, eating or other activities of daily living. Anyone at any age may need these services, the cost of which can quickly deplete savings or retirement income. The Commonwealth of Virginia (COV) Voluntary Group Long Term Care Insurance Program can help with these costs.
VRS has contracted with Genworth Life Insurance Co. as the insurer for the program. Participant-paid coverage provides a monthly benefit allowance for covered long-term care expenses. Genworth will begin accepting new enrollees September 16*, and coverage will begin December 1.
*Note: Employees who enrolled in the long-term care insurance program before December 31, 2016, will continue their coverage under that program.
Limited Underwriting Offered During Open Enrollment
Eligible employees age 65 and under who apply during a special enrollment period September 16 – October 11 will have fewer medical underwriting requirements.
Employees over age 18 are eligible to apply for coverage in the COV Voluntary Long Term Care Insurance Program if they are a:
Note: Vested deferred VRS members and retirees are not required to have worked for an employer that elected the program. Retirees and deferred vested VRS members are required to complete full medical underwriting when they apply, regardless of age.
- State employee or faculty member who works at least 20 hours a week. The employee does not have to be a VRS member.
- School division employee or political subdivision employee who works at least 20 hours a week, provided the employer has elected to participate in the program. The employee does not have to be a VRS member.
- Deferred VRS member under age 75 who is vested (you have at least five years of service credit).
- Retiree under age 75 receiving a VRS-administered benefit.
- Retiree of a Virginia public college or university under age 75.
Family members may also apply for coverage if they are between the ages of 18 and 75 and undergo full medical underwriting. Eligible family members include:
- A spouse.
- Adult children.
- Parents, parents-in-law and step parents.
- Grandparents, grandparents-in-law, step grandparents and step grandparents-in-law.
For more information, call Genworth Life toll-free at 800-870-0877 or visit Genworth’s website (available September 16).
- Reduced medical underwriting (proof of good health) for employees under age 65 who apply within 60 days of employment. Full medical underwriting will be required after 60 days or if the employee is over age 65.
- Full medical underwriting is required for any family members, deferred VRS members or retirees who apply.
- At group rates, premiums may be more affordable. Employees pay premiums directly to Genworth.
- Employees who leave or retire from their position may continue coverage under Genworth.
- Employees can choose one of three benefit increase options that will increase coverage over time to help protect against the rising cost of care.
- VRS members eligible for the VSDP Long-Term Care Plan or have other long-term care insurance, including the VLDP Long-Term Care Plan, may be able to coordinate with the voluntary program to obtain even more coverage.